Monday, March 12, 2012

Easy Frittata!- Recipe


Today I discovered a huge pile of eggs hidden in my chicken house! There must have been at least 50 of them! Those sneaky hens had figured out how to get behind the big bale of wood chips I use on the floor of the hen house and have been laying eggs there for who knows how long! I've been away for over 2 weeks and Trev has been doing the egg collecting. He wouldn't have realized if there was a shortage each day. And who knows how many of the girls were participating in the 'hide your egg' game.
  q
We had some really cold weather (-22C) while I was gone and eggs left in that kind of temperature freeze solid if they aren't collected fairly soon after being laid. Then the shells crack and the egg is not fit to sell, although I do use them for the family in baking. I carefully went through this huge pile, sorting out the cracked from the not cracked. The cracked all went into the burning barrel, and I ended up with 28 good eggs. Not knowing how long they had been there, even though it was cold enough to keep them fresh, I don't like to sell them. This meant I had an overabundance of eggs to use. So, on the menu tonight was a Frittata!
Frittata is an Italian egg dish very much like an omelette, but way easier. You can incorporate all kinds of leftover foods into it. Today, I cleaned out my fridge and had found a green pepper and a tomatoe that needed to be used. In the freezer I found a hunk of some kind of sausage which had come unwrapped and rather than re-wrapping it, I defrosted it. Also, we always have frozen spinach and cheese on hand, which are great additions to a frittata. You could add frozen veggies (thawed) alternate meats (chicken, roast meat, ground meat, seafood), onions, cooked potatoes, any veggie you think sounds good, and any kind of cheese you like!
Here are my directions for an easy dinner (or breakfast or lunch!)
First, I put my largest cast iron skillet on the lowest flame ( I cook with propane). You want your frittata to cook for about 10 minutes, so you need to keep the heat as low as possible. I added oil to the pan and let it sit while I prepped the ingredients.


Here are my ingredients...
6 eggs, cheese, green pepper, tomatoes and some garlic sausage.


Add caption






Chop up your  veggies and meat, grate the cheese and toss it all into a bowl.  Add the eggs.  I usually add about a 1/2 cup of milk for 3 eggs, so here I added about a cup.  Add a dash of salt and grate in some fresh pepper...Stir it all together until the eggs are well mixed in.
Now pour it into your hot pan.
Let it cook, covered (I used tin foil as I don't have a pot lid large enough for this pan) for at least 10 minutes.
You want it to set ( become firm).  When it has reached this stage, take it off the stove top and pop it into the oven under the broiler for a few minutes.  This will set the top and brown it nicely.  Slice it as you would a pie and serve with toast, hashbrowns, salad...what have you!


Serve!

5 comments:

  1. This looks yummy! I think I may make this when I wake up in the morning! Thanks!
    www.rockpaperscissorscreate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful! I have about 30 eggs in my fridge! I'm so glad fresh eggs last a long time! I'm definitely going to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! Thanks for sharing on Tasty Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!-Sue

      Delete
  4. Turned out beautiful! Thanks for sharing on Tasty Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day. I love getting feedback from you. Please take the time to let me know what you think of this post, and also, if you are a blogger in need of some blog-love, leave your site address so I can go visit you too!