Monday, March 9, 2015

Homemade Vanilla Flavoured Coffee Creamer


A few weeks ago I did a post on recipes using sweetened condensed milk and included my own recipe for making your own SCM. While searching for recipes to use it with I found several versions of homemade coffee creamers which called for a can of SCM. The canned version is a bit pricey, and in the end it would probably be cheaper to buy the flavoured creamers ready made.  But, as most of us know, the kind you buy is full of all kinds of chemicals and has absolutely nothing your body needs in it. So, I decided to try making a batch of coffee cream, using my SCM recipe.
My recipe for sweetened condensed milk has only 5 ingredients in it, one of which is water. Let's whip up a batch!

Put on the kettle to boil the water needed (1/3 cup) and gather the other ingredients while it heats.
You will need :
1/3 cup boiling water
1 cup of powdered milk 
a pinch of salt
2/3 of a cup of white sugar
and 3 tablespoons of melted butter, margarine, or coconut oil ( I used coconut oil in the recipe).

Put all the dry ingredients in a small mixing bowl. When the water is boiled,  measure the 1/3 cup needed and then add the melted butter, margarine or coconut oil to the water. Then add it to the dry ingredients. Use a whisk and mix it up really well. It will be thick, just like the store-bought kind.


Next, add 1 and a 1/2 cups of milk ( we use 1%, so that's what I used ) and 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract to the sweetened condensed milk. Mix well. Pour it into a container to keep in the fridge.  I used a wipe off marker to write the date I made it on the bottle so I would know how old it was later on.  It will keep in the fridge for as long as your milk will. If the milk you use expires in a day or 2, you might want to get a fresh jug to make this with.  Make sure to shake it up before each use.
Don't you just love the little bottle I used? I found these at Winners filled with hot chocolate mix. I got 3 of them in different hot chocolate flavours for Zac for Christmas. He enjoys the hot chocolate, and I get the cute bottles! It's a win-win!


I have to say, it is delicious! Way better than the store bought, full of chemicals version. I have a few more ideas for other varieties, so stay tuned for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day. I love getting feedback from you. Please take the time to let me know what you think of this post, and also, if you are a blogger in need of some blog-love, leave your site address so I can go visit you too!