Thursday, January 22, 2015

How to Make a London Fog


I'm not a big spender when it comes to going out for coffee.  I think Starbucks is okay (it has employed all of my grown kids at one time or another), and I enjoy grabbing a hot drink there occasionally.  I don't normally order anything but a grande Pikes Place with room for lots of cream.  The price is okay and it's not loaded with sugar like so many of their 'fancy' drinks.  But, I have to admit...the other day when I was in the city, wandering aimlessly around Chapters, waiting for a call from my husband to say his surgery had gone well....I broke down and bought something other than my 'usual'.  I just didn't feel like coffee, so decided on tea. I asked if they made London Fogs, and was told yes, but they called them Earl Grey Lattes. Perfect! I forked over the almost 5 bucks and got my drink. It was wonderful! But 5 bucks!! That's crazy!

Tonight, while relaxing, I once again felt like a London Fog, but not the 5 buck version.  Plus, Starbucks is a long drive through the snow and wilderness.  So,  I made my own. This is the recipe one of my daughters taught me while she was a barista.  As simple as can be, and way cheaper than 5 bucks!


All you need to make your own London Fog is a bag or 2 of Earl Grey tea (I honestly like Walmart's teas, and they are cheap!), some milk, vanilla, sugar (or sweetener of your choice) and boiling water.
I like my tea strong so I use 2 bags in a big cup. You can decide how strong you like yours.
1. First, boil the kettle.
2. Get your mug and tea bag(s) ready.
3. Pour the boiling water into the cup with the tea bag(s) in it. Allow it to steep for 3 minutes.
4. Add 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
5. Add milk and sugar to taste.


If you like a bit of foam on yours, you can use a milk frother to add some bubbles, but I prefer mine 'flat'.
Now, enjoy!


14 comments:

  1. You'll have to try the Earl Nog next Christmas! Earl grey tea and eggnog! It's a pretty good holiday drink, and it gives you that taste of eggnog without downing a whole glass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the new 'tea-to-try' Jordan! I may have to make a homemade batch of egg nog just so i can try this out. I'm not sure I can wait till next Christmas!-Hugs!

      Delete
  2. I love teas and this is new to me. I'll have to give it a try. I've been sipping on peppermint tea lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry! I wish we could get together and have tea! A friend told me that you can make a Dublin Tea by substituting the Earl Grey with peppermint. I have yet to try it, but it sounds wonderful!! let me know if you do!-Sue

      Delete
  3. I've never seen this! I must try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome April! You will love it if you do! I guarantee! -Sue

      Delete
  4. I love tea, but have not tried this! Thanks for the recipe! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Marci! Thanks for stopping by ad commenting! Let me know what you think when you try this out!-Sue

      Delete
  5. London fogs are so easy to make! And Yummy! Thank-you for linking up to blogger brags pinterest party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Candice! Yes, they are super easy to make. All the more reason to indulge more frequently!-Sue

      Delete
  6. thank you for sharing! I love tea and this looks delicious. #ibabloggers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ola Kathy! Welcome to the Little Shack! Let me know how you like this when you've tried it out!-Sue

      Delete
  7. A friend of mine would make London Fog every New Years Day. They made it with coffee and icecream. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary! So glad you stopped by. I've never had a London Fog with coffee and ice cream! Sounds lovely!!-Sue

      Delete

Your comments make my day. I love getting feedback from you. Please take the time to let me know what you think of this post, and also, if you are a blogger in need of some blog-love, leave your site address so I can go visit you too!